JOURNAL, RECIPES & RECOMMENDATIONS ON A GLUTEN FREE, REFINED SUGAR FREE, ARTIFICAL COLOR/SWEETNER, CHOCOLATE FREE DIET

Saturday, November 5, 2011

A New Chapter in our Families' Life


A dear friend of mine told me tonight I should start a blog so I am jumping in with 2feet. Why the blog? My son was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder about a year ago which effects the way in which he processes information. It's compared to a traffic jam in the nervous system of his brain. He functions normally most of the time but when it comes to concentration, organization, coordination, he seems to fall short. So I've had a variety of doctors and teaching professionals tell me they think he should be medicated. I've had friends tell me the same. But I always felt that this early in the game, wouldn't that be just a band aid on his problem? What if I could find something that would actually cure the source of the SPD. After much nudging from some great co-workers, I decided to see a specialist who told us Colton had a severe avergance to Gluten, Dairy (Casein), Yeast and Chocolate. He felt that it is effecting his brain causing swelling...which in turn accentuates the symptoms of SPD. He said to take these out of his diet for the next 10 days and this should defiantly help. We were shocked but thrilled that there is actually hope if helping my sweet boy. So now we turn the page to a new chapter in our families life. We are now stepping into our "new normal". A world of no Gluten, wheat, carbs, no Dairy cheese, milk, no Yeast, refined sugars or breads, and no chocolate. So with cutting out so much you would think heck, he can barely eat anything so your food bill is gonna drop. Heck no, it's been 3 days on this and I've spent no less that $125 each visit to Whole Foods/Market Street/Central Market. This is going to be a pricey way of life, but I guess we won't be eating out anymore so it should balance out...right?
All this being said, my friend Andrea said I should do this so I am. I'm going to keep a log with recipes as I step through this. The good, bad and ugly. I have always loved to cook and am happiest at home in my kitchen. So this new path is actually right up my alley. And so it begins......

No comments:

Post a Comment